Thursday 8 February 2018

Top 5 customer service fails of 2017


Yes, I know this is slightly tardy but I have had over a month’s-worth of poor health due to some version of the infamous flu bug, for which my flu jab wasn’t ‘person’ enough for the job [Note: proper PC word use].

There are few things that set my temperature valves to breaking point than the truly awful examples of bad customer service that I am destined to experience, and last year was no exception.

It has to be said that the bigger the company or organisation, the worse the customer service. Usually. I have worked in and for organisations of all sizes over the years, and it doesn’t need to be so. It comes down to management and communications.

Consider the effect that poor customer service has on me. It ranges from:

·         Mild irritation. The problem gets sorted, I tut and then get on with something else
·         Simple frustration. It takes longer to get sorted but it’s ok, we get there in the end
·         Some short, sharp words of advice from me. Often about a training need
·         I ask to speak with a manager. It gets worse when they refuse to put me through
·         Some tweets ending with #fail
·         Emailing the Chief Executive. “Dear [xx], I’m not normally prone to writing directly to the top honcho, but on this occasion …”
·         A formal complaint. If I have the energy to fill in copious forms. It depends on the incident
·         Advising the Ombudsman. Must have been a bad incident
·         Contacting Watchdog. Must have been a very, very bad incident. Don’t they know they’re dealing with a PR person?!
·         Considering sending the boys round (I jest. Really.)

During the course of the above, my blood pressure rises along with the volume of my voice. 

Especially if I’m getting scripted responses from an overseas call centre where the very nice people have not trained their very nice people to veer off-script to actually help customers. Sometimes, if I’m in a very good mood, I’ll play along with the idiocy of it all and tie the poor person up in such knots that they may need psychiatric support after my bout of mischief. I apologise unreservedly to them all.

What these companies and organisations seem incapable of understanding is that there are real ramifications of ignoring the bad customer service practices they operate. Be aware:

·         It’s bad PR, folks
·         Customers will go elsewhere to buy goods or services
·         They will tell everyone they know about their bad experience (and less frequently about their good one)
·         They will leave bad reviews; as we all know now, reviews are increasingly used as online testaments for potential customers
·         You don’t know who you’re dealing with – who customers really are and who they know (they might be the one person instrumental in getting your next huge contract)
·         Your profits will suffer
·         Your shares will suffer, and your shareholders will ask questions
·         Your brand will suffer – you’ve spent a lot of money and effort getting it right and one or two bad experiences can have a significantly negative effect
·         You may be fired



Top 5 fails of 2017 – according to my own experiences during last year

  • NHS
    • GP surgeries with rude receptionists who don’t allow you to see your own GP unless you wait a month, by which time you’re either better or dead
    • GP surgeries which don’t offer an effective online booking service. Or one at all
    • NHS area appointment booking services which on the face of it seem like a good idea until in practice, they’re totally rubbish
    • No emailing allowed. Come on, it’s 2018
  • BT – truly awful customer service and accounts. Yes, both personal and business accounts were moved to other providers
  • A certain mobility bathroom installer – young business owners/fitters working on our neighbours’ place; showed no respect and were rude when asked to move their van from across our drive. Repeatedly. They might have gained work from the whole road if they’d been more accommodating. Much lack of foresight shown
  • Port of Tilbury – normally the most courteous and helpful assistance but one individual being offensive lets the whole side down. Considering giving him a Jobsworth Award
  • DPD UK – ringing the doorbell, not waiting and taking a parcel away immediately. Twice. Perhaps it’s a corporate game of Knock Down Ginger
Also: O2, Vodafone, Royal Mail, Lloyds Bank, HSBC – the list goes on.

As I said, it doesn’t need to be this way. No matter what size or sector, organisations should be offering the best customer service they can, through proper training and management. Managers should be trained to manage – not simply be called a manager because they’ve been there the longest.

It’s not always the size of your budget, but the way in which you manage it. 

Managers/business owners shouldn’t be afraid to bring in change and not do something ‘because it’s always been done that way’. Life has moved on and you don’t need to be afraid of, for example, automating a process and retraining your team to work in a different way. As long as you communicate change effectively with all your audiences in the way in which they need to be communicated with, and in a language they’ll understand, they’ll come along with you.

Our clients are used to me asking why something’s being done a particular way when it doesn’t seem logical to me. Most of the time there’s a rational reason but now and then, I can suggest a different way of doing something which involves less cost, resource or duplication of work, and I love it when it works. Our smartest clients are those who are open-minded and listen, then participate in the process. Quite often, it will enable them to work smarter too. Plus I get to learn plenty from my clients, and I can pass this on to others to help in their businesses.

You see, PR with Chimera  is not only about communicating effectively, promoting and selling more, it’s about the whole in terms of business strategy – and that’s because we’re experienced, skilled people who have worked with a wide variety of companies and organisations across the years.

And every now and then, if you stand outside my office, you can hear the gentle ripples, caustic comments, or volcanic eruptions caused by poor customer service. 

One thing though – I always compliment people and say ‘Thank you’ when someone gets it right or goes above and beyond! I hope you do too.




No comments:

Post a Comment